My hope, my prayer and belief is that some will benefit from this site. Let me introduce myself. I am Eugene Henry Sr. and I have a Masters Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling with a speciality in substance abuse from Virginia Commonwealth University. My under grad years were spent at Virginia State College, where I dropped out in 1973. The next ten years were the bleakest of my existence; but somehow there was that small tiny thought that periodically popped up that said there is more than this for you. Do you believe in miracles? More to follow.
In 1990 I enrolled in Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC), where I completed the requirements for my Associates in Substance Abuse Counseling (Hooray!). This was my first completion of anything since high school. While at NVCC, I began working with substance abusers--truly the mirror wasn't broke. Upon finishing NVCC, I began seeking directions which led me back home--never say never. I met my future boss while visiting home one weekend and shortly after I became the Prevention and Intervention Coordinator for the Hopewell Housing Authority. Sometimes honey moons just aren't long enough. My immediate supervisor moved on and then there were two. The two of us found ourselves vying for the position that had been vacated. My counter part had her four year degree, leaving an easy decision for our director. Listen in on my interview: "Your counterpart had guts, she toughed it out and got her sheepskin".
A slap on the snoozer is not always a bad thing. Two months later, I re-enrolled into Virginia State University which was in 1994. In July 1995, I marched across the stage to receive my Bachelors in Individualized Studies with a concentration in social work. I have a lot to fill in, so stay with me as we journey the road of Freeing the Incarcerated Mind.
Looking forward to the next chapter. Thank you for sharing Pastor Eugene.
ReplyDeleteWhat’s next Dr. Henry?
ReplyDelete